As you know I went on a road trip a couple weeks ago. I had so much fun over the two weeks that we were on the road, but there are some things that you need to DO and DONT do along the way. This is the first actual road trip I have done. I’ve driven to Chicago, New York, and even Panama City Beach. But nothing like this. I’m no pro on road trips in anyway and there is a lot of stuff that I wish we would of done. I think at some points Amanda, Megan, and I were about to kill one another. But obviously we didn’t. So here are some of my tips for road trips. I’m going to be a pro by the time I visit all 30 stadiums!
- So we brought a cooler. Filled it with ice. Had lunch meat, mustard, mayo, water, and whatever else we wanted cool. And then of course we had bread to make sandwiches. This helped us save a lot of money so we didn’t have to constantly stop for food.
- Bring two or more car chargers so you all have a chance to charge your phone.
- Make a playlist for the long ride.
- Bring pillows and blankets so you can nap while the other person is driving. This came in handy a lot. We woke up at 4:00am to drive from Denver to Chicago. I drove first and then Amanda and Megan slept.
- Calculate how much gas it is going to take you to get everywhere and then add $10 extra dollars each so you know you have enough money.
- I didn’t have a ton of money to spend but I got all my family members something small. I think it’s always good to give people you care about something from the road so they know you were thinking of them.
- Don’t forget to get something for yourself too. I like to get a little souvenir from every city I went to. For example, in St. Louis I got a pennant from the stadium (I get one at every stadium I go to) and I got a post card of the field. I also got a glass that has the St. Louis sky line on it.
- Split time up driving. We usually drove four hours and then switched. It helps break it up so one person isn’t driving the entire time.
- Drinks lots of water. That way when you go out and drink too much you won’t have to horrible of a hangover.
- Bring coffee or energy drinks so you can stay awake! My go to is a Rockstar energy drink. I love everything about them.
- Plan to stop in cool places along the way. We stopped in Indianapolis on our way to St. Louis and on our way to Denver to stopped at the Oz Winery (Yes, like the Wizard of Oz). I wish we would of planned better for the drive from Denver to Chicago, but we didn’t have that much time so we stopped in Omaha Nebraska.
- So we had a free place to stay in St. Louis and Denver. But when we got to St. Louis all we had was the lunch meat and bread to make sandwiches. We didn’t think about breakfast. We spent too much money on going to grab Dunkin Donuts or McDonald’s. So DON’T forget to pack more than just sandwiches!
- Don’t waste your money on stupid stuff. I know that’s easier said than done, but there are just some stuff that I shouldn’t of spent my money on. For souvenirs get stuff that you actually will use.
- Don’t forget to bring clothes for all types of weather. It got a little chilly while we were in Denver and I didn’t bring anything for that. Not a rain jacket. Nothing!
- Don’t eat out for every meal. We should of went to the grocery store when we got there to have a variety of things to eat.
Obviously I’m not a pro at road tripping, but I thought we did a lot of stuff well. We forgot some stuff but hey we’re learning and our next road trip we will be more prepared. Hopefully these tips will help you plan your next road trip! Overall have the time of your life. It’s something you’re going to remember forever and something you can share with your kids.
What are your DO’s and DONT’s of road trips?